Monday, October 18, 2010

DIY Jewelry Storage

Remember my post from awhile back about jewelry storage? If not, click here. Well, I decided to try one of the more easy (and inexpensive) solutions for necklaces- the board with hooks, except that I wanted to do something a little more creative than just a plain board. I decided to make my own stencil and stencil a pattern onto the board. My inspiration was a Moroccan style design that I printed off the internet, traced onto the stencil plastic, and then transfered to the board. Here is what I did:

1. Get your board on- I bought a generic Pine 1 x 6 from Home Depot, sanded it, and painted it a creamy white. The boards are pretty long, but you can get cut there or do it at home. 

2. Stencil- Find a pattern you like from wherever. I found mine online in Google images when I searched for "Moroccan patterns". After printing, I knew that I wanted it to be a certain size for the board so I enlarged to the size I wanted on my HP copier/scanner. I then traced the pattern onto the stencil plastic which you can get at Hobby Lobby or most craft stores.

Next, cut out the pattern on the stencil plastic with an Exacto knife. This is really the hardest part of the whole process depending on the pattern you choose. Be patient as it's very tedious!


3. It's time to paint- Now you are ready to tape the stencil onto the board and paint on the design! I did a couple of pieces on one side of the stencil to keep it flat and so that I could easily remove and slide down the board. Use a small sponge or stencil brush to apply paint to open areas of stencil. Make sure you don't apply too much paint or it can seep under the plastic and mess up the design. After using the sponge, I may consider the brush next time for ease of control and texture of the paint. Be sure to let the area dry completely before removing the stencil.

4. Seal and apply hooks- I personally wanted to protect the paint from chipping and I wanted a slight sheen, so I sealed the board with Polyurthane after it was completely dry. After that was dry, I screwed in the hooks and nailed the picture hangers on the back. You are ready to go!



Not bad, huh? The finished product installed:


6 comments:

  1. Fabulous! It looks great! Love the pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add one to my Christmas list;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great diy that is actually doable! I love the design. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    Amy R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Placing a jewelery at one place makes us easy to pick up the jewelery at the right time and for that this DIY product will work great.

    ReplyDelete